Friday, March 9, 2012

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

I have been working on getting my kids old clothes priced and ready to sell at our resale. It is taking longer than I thought! It always does, doesn't it? I was getting kind of bored doing it so I just had to go to the kitchen and make something.

I've been wanting to try a bar like the Larabar. My favorite one is the chocolate chip peanut butter. I actually had the ingredients in the pantry for a couple weeks but didn't get around to making them. I did a quick search and decided on this one.

I doubled this recipe and will try freezing some since it makes 24 bars. I won't be able to go back to buying bars when I can make them for so little.

The verdict? I love these! I liked them better than the larabar because this one has more peanuts and more of a peanut flavor, which I love. The only thing I might change is decreasing the amount of peanuts only because the next day, they tended to break easy and fall apart some. There wasn't enough of the dates to hold it together really well. But that really isn't much of a problem to me. I love the peanut taste of them. My husband liked them and the kids asked for more. They are a hit! Now I'm going to want to try other flavors!




Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
from gluten-free-blog

2 cups peanuts (if unsalted, add a pinch or two of salt)
10 oz (about 2 cups) seedless dates (the moist kind)
4 oz dark chocolate

Add peanuts and chocolate to a food processor. Process until it looks not much bigger than breadcrumbs. Add the dates and process until dates are the same size as the rest. You may have to stir it every once in a while since it will clump up.

Line a 9x13" glass pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Press the mixture into the pan. Use the bottom of a glass to press down and smooth out. Refrigerate an hour then cut into 24 pieces (4 rows by 6 rows). Place in an air tight container. These can also be frozen.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment