Sunday, April 29, 2012

My favorite thing to make...

My favorite thing to make isn't really a healthy thing. Cookies are probably my favorite treat. Well, that and ice cream (Love homemade vanilla with warmed peanut butter and melted dark chocolate on top. Yummmm!) I love making a batch of cookies and when they are cool I pop them in the freezer so I can have a fresh tasting cookie anytime (well, anytime the kids can't see me) and I don't feel like I have to eat the whole batch in two days before they start to go stale.


Last pumpkin season, I was looking for a new pumpkin cookie. And I also had a oatmeal raisin cookie that I really liked. It was a hardy type cookies with more oats than flour. So then I thought what if I made it with pumpkin added cranberries instead of raisins and added chocolate chips. This is what I came up with. This is a hardy cookie.


Oatmeal Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies

1 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups oats
1 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Combine the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in oats, cranberries, and chocolate chips.

Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten each slightly. Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.

Makes 20

If you want to know how this breaks down, one cookie has 179 calories, 3.6g fat (1.6g sat. fat), and 3.5g protein.

1 comment:

  1. These look really good! They look like they could almost be one of those breakfast cookies with all the oats.

    ReplyDelete